Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Services
Atlanta Slip and Trip and Fall Lawyers
Slip and trip and fall accidents are the cause of 1 million emergency room visits in the United States each year and lead to about 20,000 deaths annually, according to the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI). We understand that people often slip and trip and fall at their place of work, at stores, on sidewalks and parking lots, and possibly in other business and private premises and property.
In many cases, these accidents could have been avoided if proper safety measures had been taken or if the property owner had been more attentive to maintaining a safe premises free of hazards. These negligent property owners can be held accountable for the injuries they cause.
Atlanta, GA Slip and Fall Lawyers
The Atlanta slip and fall lawyers at The Millar Law Firm have been representing clients injured in Georgia slip and fall accidents since before 1995. During that time, our lawyers have had the honor to recover millions of dollars in fair compensation for injured victims. After you or a loved one is injured in a trip and fall or a slip and fall accident, contact us today to learn all the ways in which we can help you. Call 770-400-0000 or use our online form to schedule a free consultation about your case.
Where Do Atlanta Slip and Fall Accidents Occur?
Although statistics show that falls are more likely to occur among the elderly or very young, anyone can suffer a slip and fall (or trip and fall) at any time. The reason that slip and fall accidents are so common is that they can happen almost anywhere. Locations where these accidents can occur in Atlanta and elsewhere are:
- Homes – When a person invites you onto their property, they need to make sure the area is safe from hazards such as holes or uneven or broken walkways.
- Work – Falls are the primary cause of missed work days and the leading cause of workers’ compensation claims. Construction sites, in particular, present such slip-and-fall risks as slick floors, uncovered openings and areas cluttered with materials and equipment.
- Stores and restaurants – Falls can occur in department stores, grocery stores, superstores like a Walmart or in small shops. The Worldwide Cleaning Industry Association says more than 3 million food service employees and 1 million patrons experience slip-and-fall injuries annually in restaurants.
- Sidewalks, approaches, walkways and parking lots – These areas present a great risk of trip and slip-and-fall injuries if they are not properly maintained and lit. Poor maintenance that leaves potholes or loose paving stones can also lead to falls. Falls and tripping on city or county sidewalks can be tricky and complicated cases if the accident happened on public property. Filing a claim against the government raises issues with governmental immunity that do not arise in a lawsuit filed against a private party.
- Elevators and escalators – About 10,800 people are injured on elevators (10,600) or escalators (6,000) every year, according to Consumer Watch. Many people slip or trip and fall when elevators or escalators start or stop abruptly, or are misaligned with the floor.
- Office buildings – Many trip and slip and fall incidents happen in office buildings, to both visitors and employees working there alike. Many slip and trip and falls take place in bathrooms with leaking fixtures or on lobby floors that are wet and slippery. Such incidents must be properly and quickly investigated before valuable evidence such as entrance surveillance video can disappear.
- Nursing homes – Fall-down claims in Nursing homes are common events which our law firm handles. The CDC estimates that nearly 1,800 elderly persons actually die after falling in nursing homes each year. Survivors of nursing home trip, slip and falls often have very serious or catastrophic injuries resulting in disability and lost quality of living.
Each day, people spend a large portion of their time in one or more of these places when they are at home, work, school, running errands or participating in recreational activities. With so many potential locations presenting a risk of a fall, it should come as no surprise that slip-and-fall cases are common throughout Atlanta and Georgia.
Atlanta Trip and Slip and Fall Accidents We Handle
While slip and fall accidents can happen almost anywhere, they are most likely to occur when maintenance problems exist or when a building is not designed in a safe and effective way. Trip and Fall and Slip-and-Fall accidents that our Lawyers handle include:
- Cases involving wet and/or slippery substances on floors
- Fallen merchandise, or improperly displayed items in stores creating a tripping hazard
- Dips or uneven height of floors or pavement
- Untreated ice on sidewalk or roadways, including “black ice” cases
- Debris or other tripping hazards in a store aisle, hallway, sidewalk, walking path, etc.
- Torn or ripped or uneven carpeting
- Tripping hazards from uneven concrete, pavement, stairs or surfaces
- Holes, loose cover plates, manholes or potholes on floors, pavement or ground
- Negligently placed extension cords or cables making a trip hazard
- Dim lights or failure to have working lighting
- Broken hand-rails or railings
Injured From a Fall? Get Injury Financial Compensation
Any type of slip and fall, trip and fall, stumble and fall or misstep and fall can be potentially serious. These are all classified as falls on the same level, as opposed to falls that occur when you topple from a height or raised surface.
The majority of trip-and-fall and slip-and-fall cases involve falls on the same level, according to the National Floor Safety Institute.
Injuries Caused By Slip and Fall Injuries in Atlanta
When you experience a slip and fall, you can suffer a wide variety of different injuries depending on your age, how far you fell and how you landed. Some of the most common types of slip and fall injuries include:
- Broken bones – Many people who experience a fall will break their wrist as a result of using their hands to stop their fall. However, we see many different injuries, depending on how a person lands.
- Hip fractures – Hip fractures are especially common – and especially devastating – among the elderly. Many hip breaks result from falls, often from landing sideways and striking the hip, the CDC says. And, unfortunately, about one of five elderly hip fracture victims dies within one year of being injured. When this happens, the victim’s family may have a wrongful death from slip or trip and fall case.
- Knee injuries – Torn tendons and ligaments are common injuries from slip-and-fall accidents which can be proven with the help and assistance of a medical expert, such as an orthopaedic surgeon.
- Shoulder injuries – Torn rotator cuffs and bursitis and frozen shoulder are some of the common shoulder injuries we see in our law practice from trip and fall cases.
- Brain injuries – Brain injuries can range from a concussion to a serious and long-lasting case of traumatic brain injury, or TBI. A TBI can cause memory lapses, mood changes, cognitive impairment, poor judgment and headaches and post-concussion syndrome. Traumatic Brain Injury cases are generally proven with the help of a neurologist.
- Neck injuries – Neck injuries can range from whiplash to a broken neck. Whiplash occurs when the neck is suddenly snapped forward and back causing injury to the soft tissues including the ligaments and muscles of the shoulder and neck.
- Back injuries – Back injuries can include a slipped or herniated disc, vertebrae damage, soft tissue damage or other issues. Back injuries often cause significant pain and can be difficult to treat.
- Spinal cord injuries – A complete spinal cord injury can cause total paralysis, while an incomplete spinal cord injury resulting from a trip or slip and fall can cause partial paralysis to the body at and below the area of nerve injury.
Hiring an Atlanta Slip and Fall Attorney – Recover Compensation for Injuries
When a slip or trip and and fall accident occurs, the costs of medical bills, lost wages, emotional distress, painful trauma and other harms damages can be devastating. In the most serious cases leading to paralysis, brain injury or death, the costs may be greater, when your family may be left without a bread winner or the companionship that your loved and special one provided.
Proving Trip and Slip and Fall Cases in Georgia
The Atlanta slip/trip and fall attorneys at The Millar Law Firm can assist injured victims in recovering compensation after an injury has occurred.
Proving trip and fall and slip-and-fall cases takes special expertise. The burden is on the injured victim (or family) to show the owner or other person was negligent and had superior knowledge of the hazard.
Georgia law holds property owners and managers accountable to their visitors or invitees to keep the “premises and approaches” reasonably safe. Customers at a store or other place of business (hotel, doctor’s office, etc.) are generally considered “invitees.” Merchants have an obligation to ensure their safety by regularly checking or inspecting their premises or store for any potential hazards and by correcting them or warning guests of the danger. Casual visitors to homes, which may be neighbors or other social guests are usually known as “licensees.” The duty owed to a licensee is much lower and it may be harder to prove your case if you are a licensee, as the only duty owed to a licensee by the owner is not to willfully or wantonly injure the licensee. O.C.G.A. 51-3-2.
To win your slip or trip and fall case, first, you’ll need to establish what your status was – invitee or licensee. You’ll need to prove that the property owner or occupier was more careless than they should have been. For example, you’ll need to show the store or property owner knew or should have known about the danger (had notice), had a chance to warn you or correct the problem, and failed to do so. If you are a licensee, you will need to prove that the owner willfully or wantonly injured you.
When a personal injury attorney from The Millar Firm represents you, we will ensure you have the proof you need to make your slip and fall case. We can help you find engineers and other expert witnesses, subpoena maintenance records and otherwise gather evidence that the property owner should be held liable. We will work to negotiate a settlement when a fair resolution is possible outside of court, and we are always ready to go to trial to represent you.
Get Slip and Fall Legal Advice: Contact an Atlanta Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
At The Millar Law Firm we offer a free evaluation of your case. If we are able to represent you, your case will be handled on contingent-fee. That is, if we do not recover monetary compensation for you, there will be no legal fees.
To learn more about how we can help and to schedule your free consultation, get in touch with us today using our online contact form or calling 404-620-4301.
- National Floor Safety Institute
- Worldwide Cleaning Industry Association – Slips, Trips & Falls in the Workplace
- Consumer Watch: Elevator Accidents, Escalator Accidents
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Falls in Nursing Homes
- CDC – Hip Fractures Among Older Adults
Read our FAQs for more information on Slip and Fall injury cases.