What to Do After an Atlanta Truck Accident
Atlanta Truck Accident Lawyers Serving All of Georgia
After a Georgia truck accident, there are several key steps that you should take in order to protect your health and also to protect your legal rights. These steps include the following:
After a Truck Accident in Atlanta
- Stop at the accident scene - You should never leave the scene of an accident without stopping. Even if you were not at fault, you could still be charged with hit-and-run if you fail to stop at the scene.
- Get prompt medical attention – It is important to get medical attention right away even if you do not believe that you have been seriously injured. This is essential because some injuries such as internal bleeding or swelling of the brain do not immediately become apparent, may not have obvious symptoms or may not seem serious right away. Be sure to tell the doctor what happened during the accident and discuss all symptoms, even if they seem minor to you.
- Contact law enforcement – Police can come to the scene and draft an accident report that will be invaluable if the truck driver tries to blame the accident on you or tries to claim that he/she is not at fault for the accident.
- Get the names, addresses and identifying information of those at the accident scene – This includes not just the name and employer information of the truck driver who hit you, but also the names of any eyewitnesses who saw the accident. It can become very difficult to track down witnesses after an accident if no one got their contact information on the scene.
- Take photographs of the accident scene, the damage to the vehicles and your injuries – All of this will be immensely useful in proving the extent of the damage, helping to prove who caused the accident and helping to show how seriously you were injured.
- Report the accident to your insurance company – It is very important to notify you auto insurance company that you were involved in an accident. Failure to notify the insurance company about the crash could result in a denial of coverage. However, you should not provide the insurance company with a written or recorded statement about the crash without the advice of an attorney.
- Keep copies of all receipts, accident reports and other documentation – This information can be crucial in establishing the damages that you have suffered during the truck accident.
- Contact an Atlanta personal injury lawyer right away – An Atlanta truck accident lawyer can help to preserve evidence and begin the investigation of the truck accident immediately so no details are missed. An accident lawyer can also help you to deal with the insurance companies and can assist you in ensuring that you do everything possible to protect your legal rights and get the maximum compensation available under Georgia law.
What Not to Do After a Truck Accident in Atlanta
You should never sign an agreement with the insurance company without having a lawyer representing your interests. If you settle your case or agree to waive your legal right to sue, you may not be able to undo the damage done to your claim, and you may never get all of the compensation that you are entitled to by law after a truck accident caused by the negligence or carelessness of a truck driver.
Insurance Companies and Atlanta, GA Truck Accident Lawyers
Insurance companies — your own and the insurance company representing the trucking company — are not your friends, and they are not on your side. Your goal is to get full and fair compensation for all your damages after an accident. The insurance companies’ goal is to pay you as little as possible in order to improve their bottom-line profits. They have many professionals working to protect their interests. You should have your own legal advocate to protect your rights after a Georgia truck accident.
Get Help from Our Atlanta Truck Accident Lawyers Today
The Georgia tractor-trailer crash attorneys of Millar & Mixon, LLC have experience investigating and litigating serious truck accidents. We thoroughly investigate truck accident cases and, whenever necessary, hire qualified experts to assist in proving your case.
If you have been injured in a truck accident in Georgia, contact an Atlanta truck accident lawyer with Millar & Mixon, LLC today. Call us now at 404-620-4301 or fill out our online contact form for a free case evaluation. Our Atlanta truck accident attorneys represent injured people in Decatur, Lawrenceville, Forest Park, Conyers, College Park, McDonough, Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Newnan, Douglasville, Powder Springs, Smyrna, Marietta, East Point, Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Norcross, Doraville, Buckhead, Tucker, North Atlanta, Stone Mountain, Decatur, Snellville, Conyers, Stockbridge, Jonesboro, Riverdale, Macon, Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, Valdosta and all across Georgia.