Skip to content
Formerly Known as "Millar & Mixon, LLC" if you are looking for Steven @ Mixon Law - Click Here!
Call Now for a Free Case Evaluation
(770) 400-0000

Georgia Legal Help and Advice: What should I do if I have been in an auto accident caused by a drunk or drugged driver?

Published February 6, 2018 by Bruce Millar

Georgia Legal Help and Advice: If you have not been too badly injured, there are several steps you can take to protect your rights to compensation after a drunk driving accident. If you have been injured you should seek emergency medical care and, if possible, have a companion assist you in protecting your rights.

You or a companion should collect as much information as possible from the crash scene. If you have a camera or camera phone, take photos of the cars and their damage, and other shots of the accident scene, debris, or conditions that help to show what happened.

Get the other driver’s name, address, and phone number, as well as license plate number, the name of his or her automobile insurance provider or company, and the insurance policy number. Be ready to provide this information about yourself, as well. Get the names and contact information for any witnesses.

Report the accident to police and cooperate with the police when they arrive. Answer questions honestly. Do not make charges against the other driver and do not place any blame on yourself. Ask how to obtain the Georgia Uniform police report from your City or County, or from the Georgia State Patrol, and get a copy as soon as possible.

Even if you haven’t been seriously injured, see a doctor within a day or so after the accident. You may have internal organ or head injuries that do not cause problems right away, but that need to be examined and treated.

If the other driver’s insurance company contacts you, you should decline to discuss the case with them. It is best if you can refer them to an attorney you have already retained. The insurance company may try to get you to settle your claim quickly and cheaply.

Don’t accept a settlement offer from any insurance company without first speaking to a personal injury lawyer experienced with drunk driving accident claims in Georgia.

The Millar Law Firm can assist you in a free initial legal consultation if you have been hit and hurt by a drunk driver in an accident in Atlanta or anywhere else in Georgia. If you have an insurance settlement offer, we can review it for you. Once we agree to take your case, we can handle all calls from insurers and others involved with your claim.

Associations & Awards

Call Now for a Free Case Evaluation
(770) 400-0000

Two Locations to meet you

Atlanta Office
Southside Office