One of the first things that you will likely do after you have been hurt in a Georgia car accident is to file a claim with the insurance company. However, when you go to file the claim, you may be met with terrible customer service and an insurance adjuster who seems disinterested in getting you the money you need to pay your bills after an Atlanta car wreck.
To the insurance company, you are just another claim number. To the attorneys at the Atlanta car accident law firm of The Millar Law Firm, you are an injured victim who should not have to jump through hoops to get the compensation you need.
Here are some common car insurance company problems you may encounter during the claims process, and what you can do about them.
The Insurance Company Never Gets Back to You
One problem that you may run into when filing your car insurance claim is a situation where the insurance company tells you that it will get back to you, but days or weeks go by and you never hear anything. Although this may be for a valid reason ─ for example, maybe a rental car was involved and the two insurance companies are hashing out who has to pay ─ you should still be kept up to date on the process.
Keep in mind that if you believe that your car insurance company is inappropriately or unfairly handling your claim, or it is taking an unreasonable amount of time to process your claim, you have the right to report it to the Georgia Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner.
The Insurance Company Will Not Pay for All of Your Damages
Whether you never receive a check or your insurance company flat out tells you that it will not be paying for your damages, having a part (or the whole) of your claim denied can be extremely frustrating. A car insurance company may claim that it does not have to pay all of your damages because:
- Some damages (such as a scratch on your car) existed before the accident happened, and therefore the insurer says it is not liable.
- You are partially at fault for the accident.
- Another insurance should pay first (i.e. the insurance of the other driver, rental car insurance, health insurance, etc.)
- You misrepresented the accident and damages suffered.
Why Do Insurance Companies Do This?
Car insurance company problems are common. After all, a car insurance company is a for-profit business, and it loses money when it pays out your claim. As such, taking any actions possible ─ including frustrating you to the point where you are eager to accept even a meager settlement offer ─ may be a strategy used by the company to maximize profits.
Car Accident Resources: After a Georgia Car Wreck
- Can You Get Blue Book Value For Your Car After a Car Accident?
- Should I call a Lawyer the Day of the Car Accident?
- What if there are conflicting stories after the car accident happened?
- When is the best time to sue after a car wreck in Georgia?
- Do I even have a car accident lawsuit?
- What if the person that hit me was drinking?
- How do I get money to pay my medical bills and car repair after an accident?
- How long does it take to get compensation after a car accident?
- How much should I expect to get compensation for my car accident lawsuit?
What You Can Do
If an insurance company is acting unreasonably, you can report it. You should also contact an experienced Atlanta car accident attorney who can represent you throughout the claim process. At The Millar Law Firm, we are aggressive in our negotiations with insurance companies, and we will advise you regarding what to do if the insurance company is not cooperating. For a free case consultation, contact us today.