The crossing at Peachtree Street and 14th Street is the most dangerous intersection for motorcycle wrecks in Fulton County, according to crash statistics.
Seven of 18 fatal motorcycle accidents in Fulton County in 2009 happened at that site.
Other dangerous intersections in the metro Atlanta area include Barge Road and Campbellton Roads, Camp Creek Parkway and Welcome All Road, and 10th St. and Piedmont Avenue, according to a study funded by Allstate Insurance.
There were 337 motorcycle crashes in Fulton and DeKalb Counties in 2009, according to the Georgia Department of Transportation. About 10 percent of all people killed in motor vehicle crashes in Georgia that year were motorcycle drivers.
Top 8 Deadly Motorcycle Intersections in Metro Atlanta
- 10th Street and Piedmont Avenue
- 14th Street and Peachtree
- Barge Road and Campbellton Road
- Bolton Road and Marietta Road
- Buford Highway and Peachtree Street
- Camp Creek Parkway and Welcome All Road
- Delmar Avenue and Delmoor Court
- Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway and Eugenia Avenue
Motorcycle Crash Facts
The most dangerous month for motorcycle crashes is August. The most dangerous day of the week is Saturday, and the worst time of day is between 5 and 7 PM.
The highest death and injury rates are among 20- to 24-year-olds, followed by 25- to 29-year-olds.
Personal injury and wrongful death claims stemming from motorcycle crashes can be difficult to win. Insurance companies often seek to blame the motorcyclist for causing the accident. Or they contend that the victim’s injuries were caused by failure to wear a helmet or other protective gear.
It takes an experienced Georgia motorcycle accident attorney to protect the legal rights of injured bikers and passengers.
- Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety – http://www.gahighwaysafety.org/research/motorcycles-statistics/