Bicycle riding is increasingly popular both for recreation and practical transportation. It’s a healthy and cheap way to get from one place to another, convenient and enjoyable, especially in warmer climates such as Georgia’s. But riding a bike can also be extremely dangerous. Even the most cautious rider is vulnerable to getting hit by a reckless driver. Every year more than 500,000 bicyclists must go to the emergency room due, in many cases, to negligent car drivers.
The Atlanta bicycle accident lawyers at Millar & Mixon, LLC have obtained millions of dollars in verdicts, settlements and judgments for clients who have been injured in traffic crashes, including bicycle accidents. If you have been injured or a loved one has been killed in a bicycle accident and a careless driver was to blame, our firm has the experience necessary to protect your rights and maximize the compensation you receive.
Contact us today to find out how we can help. Just call 404-620-4301 or fill out our online contact form. Millar & Mixon, LLC does not charge for meeting with you and evaluating your claim. If we accept your case, we usually represent clients on a contingency-fee basis, meaning you don’t pay us any attorney’s fees unless we recover money for you.
Causes of Georgia Bicycle Accidents
Bicyclists are often blamed after an accident with a motor vehicle. This is partly because many drivers regard bike riders as a nuisance on the road. However, the truth is that bikers have the same rights to the road that motorists have. Unfortunately, negligent drivers too often ignore bicyclists’ rights. When drivers fail to watch out for bicyclists, they can be held accountable for the injuries they’ve caused.
Some of the most common factors in accidents involving bicycles and motor vehicles include:
- Getting sideswiped, clipped or forced into a ditch because a motorist didn’t leave enough space for a bicycle rider.
- Cars failing to yield to a bicyclist.
- Cars running a stop sign or red light.
- A vehicle’s side mirror hitting a bicyclist.
- Parked cars pulling into the path of an oncoming cyclist or opening doors without checking for bicyclists.
- Drivers “cutting off” bicyclists by making turns immediately in front of them.
- A distracted driver of a motor vehicle hitting a bicyclist.
Since bicyclists have very little protection in an accident, many types of bicycle accidents can have devastating consequences. Getting hurt in a bicycle accident with an automobile can mean the possibility of life-changing injuries, which may include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Severe road burn
- Wrongful death
Steps to Take after a Georgia Bicycle Accident
If you are in a crash with the driver of a motor vehicle, you need to take the same steps in the accident’s aftermath as you would if you were in a motor vehicle.
These actions include:
- Getting medical help as soon as possible, even if you don’t feel injured at first.
- Calling the police.
- Writing down the driver’s license plate number and the make and model of the car.
- Writing down the driver’s and the owner’s name, address, telephone number, email address, insurance company and policy number.
- Taking photographs of the accident, including all vehicles involved.
- Getting contact information from any witnesses.
- Never admitting fault.
- Telling the responding police officer what happened, cooperating fully and answering all questions without taking responsibility for the accident.
- Keeping all documents related to the accident, including police reports, hospital bills and medical receipts.
Contact Our Atlanta Bicycle Accident Attorneys Today
A bicycle accident can mean long hospital stays, potential surgeries and ongoing medical care that is both painful and expensive. Your injuries may also disrupt your ability to work, which can lead to even more financial distress. However, you don’t have to go through this physical and financial devastation on your own.
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash because of a reckless driver, the Atlanta personal injury lawyers at Millar & Mixon, LLC have the experience necessary to protect your rights and maximize the compensation you receive. We can assist you in securing money to pay for your medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering.
Contact us to find out how we can help. Just call 404-620-4301 or fill out our online contact form. Millar & Mixon, LLC does not charge for meeting with you and evaluating your claim. Our case results continue to be the #1 reason Georgians call or email us regarding their serious injuries and accidents. And our client testimonials show that working with our law firm is a stress-free and beneficial experience.
With offices in Atlanta and Jonesboro, our bicycle accident lawyers represent injured people all over Georgia, including Decatur, Lawrenceville, Conyers, McDonough, Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Newnan, Douglasville, Powder Springs, Smyrna, Marietta, East Point, Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Norcross, Doraville, Buckhead, Tucker, Stone Mountain, Snellville, Conyers, Stockbridge, Riverdale, Forest Park, College Park, North Atlanta, Rome, Macon, Augusta, Savannah, Columbus and Valdosta.