Why You Should Choose Millar & Mixon to Represent You in a Mass Tort Claim
In legal terms, whenever one person is injured at the hands of another, that’s called a “tort” And when a group of people are injured by the same defective product or dangerous device, a skilled lawyer can help the victims bring a “mass tort” claim to hold the at-fault parties responsible. At Millar & Mixon, our experienced attorneys are widely recognized as top-notch Atlanta mass tort lawyers. In fact:
- Our seasoned legal team has secured more than $60 million and counting in verdicts and settlements for our clients.
- Our skilled attorneys have earned spots in The Million Dollar Advocates Forum and The National Top 100 Trial Lawyers list.
- We are rated as a Top Attorney in Personal Injury on Avvo and received the Avvo Clients’ Choice pick for personal injury law in 2015.
- Our highly experienced legal team has argued hundreds of cases in federal and state courts, so we can help you decide the best avenue for pursuing your claim.
Since our firm was founded in 1993, the Atlanta mass tort lawyers at Millar & Mixon, LLC, have been focused on one goal: Protecting the rights of Georgia residents who have been injured or killed due to the negligence of others. If you or a loved one has been harmed by a dangerous drug or a defective product and suspect you may be part of a mass tort claim, contact us today to discuss how we can help you fight for the compensation you need and the justice you deserve.
Call or fill out our online form now to schedule a free consultation with our mass tort attorneys.
What You Need to Understand About Participating in a Mass Tort Claim
Most people are familiar with the term “class-action lawsuit,” but there are actually other types of common mass tort claims that could apply to your case. Some of the terms you may hear often as you proceed with a mass tort claim include:
- Product liability: When you are harmed by a dangerous product or defective device, you may bring a product liability claim against the manufacturer, seller, or anyone else in the chain of distribution. If your injury was an isolated incident, this is the type of lawsuit we would work on for you.
- Multicounty Litigation (MCL): When multiple similar product liability claims are filed in various counties in the state court system, a court may group them together into an MCL to help move things along more quickly.
- Multidistrict Litigation (MDL): Like an MCL, when similar product liability claims are filed in federal courts in various states, a judicial panel may decide to group them into an MDL.
- Bellwether trial: As part of the MDL process, one or a few claims are chosen as test cases to go to trial first. The outcomes of these cases will influence how others who have similar cases should proceed.
- Global settlement: If the victims (or plaintiffs) win in a bellwether trial, the other side (or defendants) will generally make a global settlement offer to wrap up all of the other existing claims.
- Class-action lawsuit: Class-action cases are different from MDL or MCL cases in that they have consolidated a large group of plaintiffs into one lawsuit, versus plaintiffs maintaining their individual lawsuits but being grouped together. Class-action cases can be pursued in federal or state court, and they can cover victims who may not be identified yet. (That’s why you often see advertisements to try to notify potential victims of a class-action claim.)
Mass Tort Cases Our Attorneys Are Pursuing
At Millar & Mixon, LLC, our Atlanta mass tort lawyers are committed to helping Georgia residents who have been injured by dangerous medications or other defective products. Some of the current mass tort cases we are pursuing include (but are not limited to):
Talcum Powder Lawsuits
In February 2016, a jury in Missouri awarded a woman’s family $72 million after determining Johnson & Johnson had failed to warn consumers about the risk of using its talcum powder products. The woman had died from ovarian cancer after putting talcum powder on her underwear every day for years, Bloomberg News reported. This verdict followed a federal jury decision in 2013 that indicated another ovarian cancer victim had been put at risk by the company’s talc baby powder products. More than 1,000 women are now suing the giant maker of health care products, and the Atlanta mass tort lawyers at Millar & Mixon, LLC, stand ready to represent Georgia residents who may have developed ovarian cancer or lost a loved one to the cancer after being exposed to Johnson & Johnson talcum powder products.
Bair Hugger Warming Blankets Lawsuits
These blankets, which have been used for decades to keep surgical patients warm, are under attack in lawsuits that claim they caused infections in patients who underwent hip and knee surgeries. Dozens of individual lawsuits have now been consolidated into Multidistrict Litigation in the U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, and the Atlanta mass tort lawyers at Millar & Mixon, LLC, are investigating whether Georgia residents have been harmed due to the use of these Bair Hugger warming blankets.
Thousands of lawsuits have been filed over the blood-thinning medication Xarelto (or rivaroxaban), which is manufactured by Janssen Pharmaceutical (a Johnson & Johnson subsidiary) and marketed by Bayer. The drug, which is often prescribed to prevent blood clots, has been accused of causing excessive internal bleeding that led to death in some patients. The drug is currently the subject of Multidistrict Litigation in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, and the Atlanta mass tort lawyers at Millar & Mixon have been working diligently to ensure Georgia residents who may have suffered harmful side effects from the drug are properly represented.
Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuits
Manufacturers of transvaginal mesh are facing thousands of lawsuits over the implants, which are commonly used to help women who are suffering from pelvic organ prolapse. Unfortunately, many women claim they have experienced serious health problems related to the transvaginal mesh, and now investigations are under way. At Millar & Mixon, our Atlanta mass tort lawyers are reviewing transvaginal mesh claims in Georgia to determine how we can help victims and their families pursue the compensation they deserve.
Syngenta GMO Corn Litigation
Farmers across the United States are claiming they took a huge financial hit when Syngenta introduced its genetically modified (GMO) corn to American crops, causing China to block U.S. exports of the crop because the country had not approved the GMO corn. Georgia corn farmers who faced financial harm due to GMO corn should contact our Atlanta mass tort lawyers as soon as possible to determine how we can help you pursue compensation.
Massive Injustice Requires Excellent Mass Tort Lawyers
At Millar & Mixon, LLC, our committed Atlanta mass tort lawyers represent clients in a wide variety of cases. Our skilled legal team has the experience and the knowledge to navigate the complicated proceedings in mass tort cases, and we are dedicated to making sure Georgia residents get the justice they deserve.
Schedule a free case consultation with us now to get started on your claim. We will go over all your legal options and discuss how we can help you pursue full and fair compensation for the injustice you have suffered.