Injured in Georgia by a Defective Product or Prescription Drug?
In legal terms, whenever one person is injured at the hands of another, that’s called a “tort” And whether you alone have been injured, or group of people are injured by the same defective product or dangerous device, a skilled lawyer can help get justice. If a group of similar people are injured, this can be known as a “mass tort” claim.
Since Bruce R. Millar founded his firm in 1993, he and the Atlanta lawyers at The Millar Law Firm, have been focused on one goal: Protecting the rights of Georgia residents who have been hurt, injured or even wrongfully killed due to the negligence of others. If you or a loved one has been harmed in Georgia by a dangerous drug or a defective product and suspect you may have a products liability case, or if you want to know if you may be eligible to be part of a mass tort claim or class-action lawsuit, contact us today to learn what your rights are.
If you have been injured by a defectively manufactured or maintained product, call us today for a free consultation and find out more.
Call or fill out our online form and receive a free consultation by phone or in-person with our friendly and helpful Georgia lawyers.
Should you become part of a Class-Action Lawsuit, also known as a Mass Tort Claim?
Most people are familiar with the term “class-action lawsuit,” but there are actually other types of common mass tort claims that could apply to your case. Some of the terms you may hear often as you proceed with a mass tort claim include:
- Product liability: When you are harmed by a dangerous product or defective device, you may have a product liability claim against the manufacturer, seller, or anyone else in the chain of distribution.
- Multicounty Litigation (MCL): When multiple similar product liability claims are filed in various counties in the state court system, a court may group them together into an MCL to help move things along more quickly.
- Multidistrict Litigation (MDL): Like an MCL, when similar product liability claims are filed in federal courts in various states, a judicial panel may decide to group them into an MDL.
- Bellwether trial: During an MDL process, it is common for one or a few claims to be selected to go to trial first as test cases. The outcomes of these cases will influence how others who have similar cases should proceed.
- Global settlement: If a bellwether trial is won, it is common for defendants to make a broad or global offer to settle the other claims.
- Class-action lawsuit: Class-action cases are different from MDL or MCL cases in that they have consolidated a large group of plaintiffs into one lawsuit, versus plaintiffs maintaining their individual lawsuits but being grouped together. Class-action cases can be pursued in federal or state court, and they can cover victims who may not be identified yet. (That’s why you often see advertisements to try to notify potential victims of a class-action claim.)
Class Action and Mass Tort Cases Our Attorneys Are Following:
At The Millar Law Firm, our Atlanta injury lawyers are committed to helping Georgia residents who have been hurt by dangerous medications or other defective products. Some of the current mass tort cases we are following include:
Talcum Powder Lawsuits
In February 2016, a jury in Missouri awarded a woman’s family $72 million after determining Johnson & Johnson had failed to warn consumers about the risk of using its talcum powder products. The woman had died from ovarian cancer after putting talcum powder on her underwear every day for years, Bloomberg News reported. This verdict followed a federal jury decision in 2013 that indicated another ovarian cancer victim had been put at risk by the company’s talc baby powder products. More than 1,000 women are now suing the giant maker of health care products. If you have questions about Talcum Powder Lawsuits,** feel free to give us a call.
Bair Hugger Warming Blankets Lawsuits
These blankets, which have been used for decades to keep surgical patients warm, are under attack in lawsuits that claim they caused infections in patients with hip and knee surgeries. Dozens of individual lawsuits have now been consolidated into Multidistrict Litigation in the U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota. If you have been harmed due to the use of these Bair Hugger warming blankets.
Many thousands of cases are now filed over the medication Xarelto (or rivaroxaban), a blood-thinner, which is manufactured by Janssen Pharmaceutical (a Johnson & Johnson subsidiary) and marketed by Bayer. The drug, which is often prescribed to prevent blood clots, has been accused of causing excessive internal bleeding that led to death in some patients. The drug is currently the subject of Multidistrict Litigation in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana. Call us if you have questions or are are trying to decide what to do next.**
Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuits
Manufacturers of transvaginal mesh are facing thousands of lawsuits over the implants, which are commonly used to help women who are suffering from pelvic organ prolapse. Unfortunately, many women claim they have experienced serious health problems related to the transvaginal mesh, and now investigations are under way.
Syngenta GMO Corn Litigation
Farmers across the United States are claiming they took a huge financial hit when Syngenta introduced its genetically modified (GMO) corn to American crops, causing China to block U.S. exports of the crop because the country had not approved the GMO corn. Georgia corn farmers who faced financial harm due to GMO corn** may contact our Atlanta lawyers to find out more.
** The Millar Law Firm handles dangerous product and defect cases for individuals, but does not currently act as lead counsel in class-action mass tort cases. We have special relationships with firms who do and may associate or refer your case to specialists. We often serve as local counsel at no additional cost to our clients.
Don’t know where to start? We may be able help you directly, and if we can’t we may be able to find and refer you to a specialized law firm for your defective product or dangerous drug injury case. Don’t take a chance by randomly contacting a firm you know nothing about. You deserve to have your rights protected.
Schedule a free case review or evaluation with us now to get started. We will go over all your legal options and discuss how we can help you pursue full and fair compensation for the injustice you have suffered.