Road Rage Cases - Can A Lawyer Help?
Let’s Talk About Road Rage in Georgia
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the term “aggressive driving” was coined in the 1990s to describe dangerous driving behaviors which include:
- following other vehicles too closely;
- excessive speeding;
- Weaving in and out of traffic erratically;
- disobeying traffic signs and traffic signals; and
- Any other maneuvers that places others in danger.
Aggressive driving, colloquially called “Road Rage” describes the angry, violent, and confrontational behaviors that drivers may exhibit. Georgia’s aggressive driving law is §40-6-397 of the Georgia Uniform Rules of the Road. This section states that aggressive driving means driving with the intention to intimidate, harass, annoy, or injure another driver while passing, following closely or engaging in another form of reckless behavior behind the wheel.
Drivers who cause accidents while driving aggressively may be liable for bodily injury and property damage in addition to being convicted of a misdemeanor.
Road Rage Is Prevalent in Georgia Cities
Road rage is a huge issue across the nation and here in Georgia. In October 2016, 58-year old Randy E. Epps, was shot and killed by 22-year old William Hollingsworth as a result of a road rage incident in Macon, GA. Hollingsworth was allegedly following Epps’ vehicle aggressively and very closely. Epps then pointed his gun at Hollingsworth after the two had exchanged words at a traffic light. Hollingsworth subsequently pulled out his gun, shooting and killing Epps.
How Many Atlanta Car Accidents Are Caused By Road Rage?
It is estimated that nearly 66% of traffic deaths are caused by aggressive drivers. And, a shocking 37-percent road rage incidents involve guns! It has been projected that some over a seven-year period, approximately 12,610 injuries will result from road rage related incidents. While only two percent of drivers admit they try to run an aggressive driver off the road, over half of drivers admit they react to road rage by exhibiting aggressive behavior themselves.
Have You Seen or Been An Aggressive Driver?
According to law enforcement officials and public safety officials, some aggressive driving behaviors include:
- Erratically weaving in and out of traffic
- Changing lanes abruptly and without using signals
- Tailgating or following too closely
- Yelling or gesturing at other drivers
- Chasing down other drivers to confront them
Have You Been Injured in an Georgia Car Accident Caused by an Aggressive Driver?
Accident victims and/or their families are entitled to collect damages for medical expenses, loss wages, physical pain, emotional suffering, and other financial losses incurred from an accident caused by an aggressive driver.
Get Help From Our Atlanta Car Accident Lawyers Today
If you are in a Georgia car accident, especially an accident caused by road rage or an aggressive driver, it can be a costly mistake to delay in hiring a car or truck accident lawyer. Waiting even a few days to begin an investigation can mean the loss of valuable evidence, or increasing the difficulty of proving the cause of your injuries. Insurance companies may encourage you to wait, and not hire a personal injury lawyer. They may even encourage you to handle your injury without legal help because they hope that critical evidence will disappear or that they can claim your injuries came from something other than your car accident.
Get help from The Millar Law Firm today. Call us now at 404-620-4301 or fill out our online contact form for a free case evaluation.
We are listed in the Georgia Lawyers Directory.
Car Accident Resources: After a Georgia Car Wreck
- Can You Get Blue Book Value For Your Car After a Car Accident?
- Should I call a Lawyer the Day of the Car Accident?
- What if there are conflicting stories after the car accident happened?
- When is the best time to sue after a car wreck in Georgia?
- Do I even have a car accident lawsuit?
- What if the person that hit me was drinking?
- How do I get money to pay my medical bills and car repair after an accident?
- How long does it take to get compensation after a car accident?
- How much should I expect to get compensation for my car accident lawsuit?
The Millar Law Firm Car Accident Lawyers
If you need legal help, contact The Millar Law Firm today to learn how our skilled roundabout accident attorneys can help you get your life back on track.
Not ready to chat? Use these free resources to help you get the information you need:
- Car Accident Lawyer Atlanta GA
- Atlanta Car Accident FAQs
- Georgia Car Accident Checklist
- Bad Faith Insurance Company in Atlanta, GA
- Distracted Driving in Georgia
- Types of Car Accidents in Atlanta, GA
- Why Call The Millar Law Firm?
- What Evidence Do I Need For A GA Car Accident?
For more information, the team at The Millar Law Firm are here to help. With years of experience helping victims of car accidents get the compensation they deserve, the team of attorneys at The Millar Law Firm can help you too. Call today!