Maximizing Your Recovery in a Dog Bite Case
The lawyers of Millar & Mixon, LLC understand that dog bites can be traumatic for victims and their families. We know these attacks are painful and terrifying. We know they can lead to severe physical and emotional damage. And, of course, we also know that dog bites can cause serious financial losses.
Our goal is to protect you from any financial loss and maximize your recovery. We will:
- Explore every type of damages you should recover, and
- Pursue every possible source for this compensation.
If you would like to discuss your case and learn more about what you can possibly recover for your losses, call today or contact us online. We serve clients in Atlanta and across Georgia.
Types of Damages in Dog Bite Cases
When a Millar & Mixon, LLC attorney takes on your dog bite case, we will seek to maximize your recovery by taking a close look at all types of damages available to you. This may include:
- Medical expenses – Whether it is emergency room treatment, X-rays, surgery, medication or ongoing therapy, all past and future medical costs should be covered. Medical records, hospital bills and medical experts can help assess these damages.
- Lost wages – If you miss work and lose income while recover from your injuries, you should be compensated. Time sheets and other work records can establish your losses. If the dog bite causes you to suffer a permanent disability, we can work with economists and vocational experts to determine the harm to your future earning potential.
- Pain and suffering – Although it is difficult to put a dollar value on physical suffering, we can help to assess the proper amount by relying on photos, witness statements and other evidence.
- Emotional distress and counseling – Mental health experts can determine the emotional harm that may have occurred in your dog bite case and establish the treatment required.
- Scarring and disfigurement – If you undergo plastic surgery to repair the scars and other permanent marks caused by a dog bite, this amount can be documented and recovered.
- Punitive damages – If a dog owner willfully allowed a dog bite to happen or recklessly disregarded the safety of others, an argument for additional damages can be made. This amount is meant to punish the dog owner and deter future misconduct.
- Loss of consortium – If you are the spouse of one who was severely injured in a dog attack, you may be deprived of their comfort, companionship and support. Georgia law allows you to recover for these losses.
- Wrongful death damages – If the dog bite proved fatal, surviving family members can seek medical expenses, funeral costs and the loss of tangible and intangible benefits.
As you can see, a dog bite can impact you and your family in many ways. Fortunately, Georgia law allows you to be compensated for the full amount of this impact. At Millar & Mixon, LLC, our mission is to make sure that all areas of your life affected by the dog bite are fully covered.
Sources of Compensation for Dog Bite Victims
The other important aspect of maximizing your recovery after a dog bite is to evaluate all sources of compensation.
Your lawyer from Millar & Mixon, LLC generally will turn to the dog owner’s available homeowner’s insurance coverage. The policy may specifically cover dog bites or other animal attacks that occur on the owner’s property. In some instances, the homeowner may have what is called an “umbrella” policy that has higher dollar limits.
Additionally, since 2012, Georgia has required owners of “vicious” dogs to maintain a minimum of $50,000 of liability insurance. The law defines a “vicious dog” as one that has seriously injured or killed a human.
Our Lawyers Can Review Your Dog Bite Case
You will not recover anything for your losses if you fail to take any action after you or a loved one is injured in a dog bite through no fault of your own. You may also put a full financial recovery at risk if you attempt to deal with the dog owner or insurance company on your own.
This is why it’s important to seek the help of a skilled and experienced lawyer without delay.
Millar & Mixon, LLC is ready to help you. We can review your case right away. It starts by calling us today or contacting us online. We will charge nothing for our legal services unless you recover.